I used to hate the colour pink with a passion. As a child, I was a black jeans and white t shirt kind of girl: a tomboy. I’d rather be out riding my bike than playing with dolls. And, I still am – except I’d rather be out on a hike or for a jog than on a bike these days. But, even as I write this I am dressed in, you guessed it… black jeans and a white t shirt. However, I do now like the colour pink. And really, who couldn’t when it’s as bright and vibrant as this? Just look at those beetroot & garlic sauce zoodles!
Fast food at it’s finest
My favourite thing about making this beetroot & garlic sauce zoodles recipe is the time that it takes! I can have a beautiful, delicious bowl of healthy food ready to be eaten in just 5 minutes. What’s not to love about that? It’d take longer to find and read a takeaway menu. Five minutes is all it takes when the courgette served raw, of course. Why raw? It’s just my preference right now. I really dislike that the bite and texture disappears when courgette noodles are cooked. Or worse: over cooked. Can you say, hello soggy mess? However, if you want a warm meal instead, by all means you can also cook the zoodles. My favourite way to do so is to put them in a large frying pan, add a spritz of water /oil and quickly heat through for about 2 minutes.
A word of warning: I like garlic and the my beetroot & garlic sauce zoodles here reflect that. I’ve tried to reach a middle ground in the recipe but if you prefer a milder garlic taste, start with just one clove of garlic and then taste. Then add more garlic, one clove at a time. I like to have mine at vampire-repelling level.
This is quite a light recipe. One bowl is less than 150 calories! I like to have if I’ve been out for a big lunch during the day. Or if I’ve been testing out recipes for cupcakes… eaten one too many “testers” and licked one too many bowls clean! If you want a more substantial meal by all means add something like cooked spaghetti (or any shape of pasta) instead of the spiralized courgette.
Bright Beetroot & Garlic Sauce Zoodles
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
A meatless meal is sure to put a smile on anyones face! Pink, simple and delicious light supper.
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Total: 5 minutes
- Serves 2
- Calories 122
- 2 cooked beetroot (~150g)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp potato flour or corn flour (~8g)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 4 courgettes, spiralized
- Mixed seeds, to garnish (optional)
- Fresh basil, to garnish (optional)
- Add all the ingredients, except for the courgettes, to a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth. Remember to add the garlic gradually if you're not normally a fan.
- If raw: Mix the sauce and spiralized courgettes together and serve topped with mixed seeds and fresh basil, if using.
- If cooked: Add the sauce and spiralized courgettes to a large sauté or frying pan and heat gently until warmed through. Use tongs to transfer to a bowl so that the water from the cooking courgettes doesn't come with you!
Nutritional information based on courgettes weighing approximately a total 660g