While I was a student at the University of Lincoln I had two favourite coffee haunts: one was a local, independent place and the other? Caffè Nero! My favourite order then was a Skinny Mocha, to which I was known to add a sachet or two of brown sugar. To really confuse the baristas, sometimes I would still have the whipped cream. Yes, you read that right: a skinny mocha, with whipped cream!
These days, I stick to my plant-based diet so a skinny mocha (whipped cream or no) is out of the picture. However, now that the allergen menu is available I can confirm a mocha is still okay.
Last updated: January 2019. There’s a public allergen menu available to download from the Caffé Nero website: drinks allergen menu.
Honey: there’s no mention of honey in allergen menu (since it’s not an allergen) and no ingredients list, so, please use your judgement. For things like the syrups, milkshakes and fruit blends, I asked them to confirm that the drinks would be suitable for vegans, and their Head of Food and Beverage confirmed they were.
Essentially, it’s “the usual” that appear on the list. Caffe Nero vegan drinks just require a soy milk substitution – and skipping the whipped cream, where applicable.
- Caffè Americano (with soy milk if not black)
- Espresso (with soy milk if not black)
- Soy Mocha (no cream/sprinkles)
- Soy Cappuccino
Teas and Other
- All fruit and herbal teas
- If ordering a tea with milk, ask for Soy milk (tends to be for full leaf/British tea)
- Soy Regular Hot Chocolate (no cream/sprinkles)
Vegan syrups at Caffe Nero
They’re all vegan! Have fun.
- Amaretto (no alcohol)
- Green mint
- Salted Caramel
- Tiramisu (no alcohol)
- Triple Sec
- Caramel – sugar free
- Hazelnut – sugar free
- Vanilla – sugar free
- Green Tea & Lemon
- Black Tea & Peach
Frappe & Milkshakes
Don’t forget to tell the barista to skip the whipped cream.
- Soy Frappe Latte
- Soy Strawberry Milkshake
- Soy Vanilla Milkshake
Other cold drinks
- Sicilian Lemonade
- Crushed Raspberry Lemonade
- Alphonso Mango & Passion Fruit
- Raspberry & Blood Orange
Is there any vegan food at Caffe Nero?
Actually, yes. And in my opinion, theirSundried Tomato & Pesto cheese toastie is so fantastic it edges Caffe Nero above Starbucks in the lunch department. Controversial, I know. They’ve been a bit of a dark horse, Nero, but they’ve snuck right up there!
- Coconut, Mango & Passionfruit Granola Pot
- (Soy, Oat or Coconut Milk) Porridge (with the fruit mix topper or seeds & fruit mix topper)
- Fresh Fruit Salad
- Sweet Potato Falafel & Houmous Flatbread
- Sundried Tomato & Pesto Tostati (aka a toasted sandwich)
Sweets, snacks and other bits
- Apple & Blackcurrant Crumble Slice
- Mango Chunks
- Crudites & Red Pepper Houmous Pot
- Christmas Vegan Minced Pie (when available)
My main draw to the Caffe Nero vegan food is that the items produced by Nero tend to be marked as vegan. I didn’t realise this until one Christmas when I discovered it with the mince pies. It was a very happy surprise!
Things to avoid
- Belgian Mocha Frappe Latte
- Milano Hot Chocolate
- Chai Latte
- Chocolate sprinkles
What’s my order?
My favourite vegan drink to order at Caffe Nero is the same as pretty much everywhere else: small soy cappuccino. I also like to venture into the regular hot chocolate and mocha territories when craving something chocolaty, but always go for a cappuccino at Nero for some reason.