I honestly think that some of the most tasty recipes come from a supreme lack of forethought. I’ll spend hours researching and brainstorming a chilli (you don’t want to know how many versions of Simple Two Bean Chilli there were!) but then one of my all time favourite soups was whipped up over Christmas on a complete whim from a few half tins in the fridge! This was like the latter, and has swiftly become one of go-to lunches for work because it’s so easy (and cheap) to make a big batch!
So yes – no forethought. No planning. No intensive ingredient research or recipe trials. I just didn’t have a specific lunch “planned” and was just having a poke around the fridge to see what wasn’t spoken for or what needed using up. I found myself with floppy celery, soft carrots and about half a small sweet potato…
Inspiring stuff, no? But, I also found some fresh coriander – one of my all time favourite fresh herbs to have on hand. Cue: soup. Because, let’s face it. I love the stuff and it’s so forgiving when you’ve just got a pile of vegetables that need something doing with them, right? Same with curry powder, chopped tomatoes and vegetables: instant curry. Hides all manner of sins sorry-looking vegetables.
There was only one problem I discovered once I’d cooked this: I loved it, and I wanted to share it because it was so simple and easy. This was a problem because I was also pretty darn hungry. Cue manic running around, tracking down a camera, slightly haphazard photo taking before finally getting to devour this entire bowl of quick-apart-from-photos carrot & coriander soup in a very non-mindful and unlady-like fashion.
So, without further ramblings (I’m sure you’re also very hungry at this point to?), I’ll just get to the point! The recipe! I’d love to know if you make this yourself – I do often feel like I’m having little chats with just myself and there’s nobody out there! So, please comment below, give me a shout on Twitter (@lucirebecca) or Instagram (@lucirebecca) with your creation! If you’re on Instagram, feel free to tag your photo with #madebyluci too – that way I can scroll through them all the time!
Carrot & Coriander Soup
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
- Prep: 3 minutes
- Cook: 12 minutes
- Total: 15 minutes
- Serves 1
- Calories 162
- 135g carrots, diced
- 50g celery, chopped
- 65g sweet potato, diced
- 1 heaped tbsp (~20g) ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 300ml water + 1/2 vegetable stock cube
- 1-2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat some water in a saucepan, add the carrots, celery, sweet potato and ginger-garlic paste. Mix it well in the pan and let it cook for a few minutes, until the celery has started to soften.
- Add the ground coriander, cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the water and stock cube, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat and blend until pretty smooth (or less so, if you like a chunky soup) with a stick/hand blender.
- Top with fresh coriander and serve.