Make ahead breakfasts: the saviour of busy people across the planet. On days when I’ve forgotten that I really need to wash my hair, make some lunch and buy a train ticket I am incredibly grateful for the days when at least I know I just need to grab a jar of cherry bakewell overnight oats out the fridge as I dash to the train station ticket office with my hair still wet.
The recipe I’ve listed below makes just one jar of this addictive breakfast but it’s easily doubled, trebled, quadrupled if you have space in the fridge for all those jars. I say addictive because well, I really like just about anything (and everything) cherry bakewell flavoured. It was my favourite cheeky coffee house treat, it’s my go-to sweet cocktail flavour and it’s delightful as an oaty breakfast.
Now, even if you’re not the grab-and-go breakfast type, I still recommend you at least try overnight oats at least one in your life. You don’t have to eat them cold – you can warm them up if you prefer. I nearly always warm mine up by popping them in the microwave for about 1 minute. If I lived in a hot country… or didn’t frequently leave the house with my hair still wet from the shower, I might be persuaded to eat them cold more often. But.. I don’t. How do you eat yours?
Want more vegan dessert for breakfast ideas?
- Raw Pumpkin Pie Energy Balls
- Apple Pie Smoothie Bowl
- Healthy Strawberry Cheesecake Oatmeal
- Neapolitan Chia Seed Pudding
- Lemon Drizzle Energy Balls
Cherry Bakewell Overnight Oats
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
A quick, easy make ahead breakfast idea that tastes just like dessert: cherry bakewell overnight oats!
- Prep: 1 minute
- Cook: 8 hours
- Total: 8 hours, 1 minute
- Serves 1
- Calories 352
- 50g (~1/2 cup) oats
- 1 tsp (~5g) chia seeds
- 120ml (~1/2 cup) non-dairy milk
- 1/4-1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp (~15g) maple syrup
- 50g frozen cherries
- 1 tbsp (~7g) chopped almonds
- Add everything except for the almonds and cherries to a jar and give it a good shake. If you don't have a jar, put them in a bowl and stir everything together.
- Add the cherries on top, then cover the bowl, or put the lid on the jar, and pop it in the fridge overnight, or at least 4 hours.
- In the morning, top the oats with the almonds and any additional toppings you'd like to add (eg. extra cherries, pistachios, chopped almonds...) and then eat!