There are some weeks that just simply must end in chocolate. Hell, there are some weeks that must start with chocolate if I’m being honest! You know those Monday’s when you wake up and before breakfast is even made about three things have gone wrong? Yeah. That kinda Monday = chocolate Monday in my book.
But, when you get to Friday and the week didn’t get any better? Or even just didn’t get any worse. It was just a week that… was. Sometimes there’s no real reason. No catastrophe one must run to the chocolate cupboard for. Nope, just simple Hollah for Friday feels. Of course, there are also times it’s just been one of those weeks and the wine is already chilling in the fridge ready for
the weekend as soon as possible. Hands up if you’re guilty? I know I am. On both counts. This week it was just kind of a… OK I’m done now, week. I’ve been a bit clumsier than usual:
- spilling things (like nearly a litre of water, all over the canteen table. Cue inhuman level of blushing)
- walking into things (like a big recycling unit in the office that’s been there forever)
- overflowing instant rice pudding in the microwave
So I figure, what better way to put a sparkle back into the week than having chocolate for breakfast? But without any guilt and with a bit of “well it’s kind of good for me” smugness. Cue: smoothie bowl.
Let me float a few words by you:
Banana. Cocoa powder. Nut butter.
Well, get in my belly you!
This is sort of a cross between a smoothie and the infamous “nana ice-cream” – we use bananas to thicken, to add sweetness and to add Potassium. But then we add plenty of dairy free milk (or dairy milk, if that’s your preference) to loosen it up enough to be spoonable, but not quite drinkable.
It’s a balancing act.
There’s two versions of this chocolate cake batter smoothie bowl too: one uses simple cocoa powder, with optional maca for added energy; the other uses some Natuyra Choc Blend (which I won on Twitter!). This is great if you have it, because it’s a blend of not just cocoa and maca, but also lucuma and vanilla powders too! Without needed half a dozen separate superfoods overtaking the cupboards! However, I figure most people won’t have it – especially if you, or someone you live with, likes their cupboards to “look tidy”.
Let’s just say, Adam has learnt to 1) not open some cupboards and 2) put up and shut up about others.
It’s a(nother) balancing act.
Chocolate Cake Batter Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 2 frozen bananas chopped into chunks
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nut butter of choice I like almond or peanut!
- Xantham gum optional
Option one: Cocoa Powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar-free syrup
- 1 tsp maca powder optional
Option two: Naturya Choc Blend
- 2 tbsp Naturya Choc Blend
- 1 tbsp coco powder
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar-free syrup
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. My blender works best if I put the liquid in first, then the powders, the the bananas because the blades then get the banana first, and the powder doesn't get stuck to the sides.
If you make this for yourself (or anybody else for that matter!) let me know! Comment below, give me a shout on Twitter (@lucirebecca) or hashtag your creation on Instagram with #madebyluci – you can find me on there too under @lucirebecca.