Homemade fudge reminds me of being at school. One of my friends and her mum would make some truly amazing tablet fudge around Christmas time every year and every year, without fail, it was the best ever. Nothing I tried anywhere else was as good. Not at food shows, not at local fairs, not from fancy, posh brands… there was something extra special about their homemade fudge.
Naturally, homemade fudge couldn’t escape my desire “veganise” all the things for very long. My problem? Historically, I’ve always made fudge with condensed milk! So how on Earth was I gonna make vegan fudge? As far as I knew, there was no such thing as vegan condensed milk.
Enter: coconut condensed milk! It exists people! The good people at Wing Yip Store sent me some to try and well, hello! Fudge recipes: meet veganisation. My first port of call? A simple vanilla vegan fudge, because I decided one should walk not run around this kind of kitchen experimentation!
Is it coconut or vanilla fudge?
I’ve called it ‘Easy Coconut & Vanilla Vegan Fudge’ because I’ll be honest, the coconut comes through from from the coconut milk. Well, I think it does. My OH thinks that it doesn’t at all, and didn’t even know there was coconut in the fudge.
So.. if you are sensitive to coconut, you’ll probably taste it. If you think you’ll be able to taste the coconut, you’ll probably taste it. If you hand this coconut & vanilla vegan fudge
More homemade vegan gift ideas
Do you want to make more vegan gifts? Try these other homemade ideas for size!
- Christmas Vegan Rocky Road
- Pumpkin & Cranberry Muffins
- Irresistible Oreo Chocolate Cupcakes
- Vanilla Chocolate Chip Cookies
Easy Coconut & Vanilla Vegan Fudge
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
Simple, vegan vanilla fudge that comes together in under 30 minutes - amazing huh?
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- Total: 25 minutes
- Yield 16 squares
- 30g vegetable fat
- 30g dairy free butter
- 2 tbsp (~30g) golden syrup
- 300g light brown sugar
- 1 x 310g tin vegan condensed coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat a heavy bottomed saucepan over a medium heat. Add the fat, butter, syrup and sugar to the pan. Stir until melted.
- Add the vegan coconut milk and vanilla extract, mix well.
- Bring to a boil, stir repeatedly. Never stop stirring! Boil until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage.
- Remove from the heat.
- Pour into your prepared tin and beat with an electric mixer until the gloss disappears.
- Smooth the fudge mixture over and leave to one side to set.
- Cut into squares and store in an air tight container.