Ever find yourself walking into a coffee shop – especially the chain ones that are like, every ten feet, and feeling overwhelmed by the generic menu boards and no obvious allergen menu? And let’s not forget the queue of impatient people that don’t want to hang around! Well, here’s my solution to that, one chain at a time. This time: vegan Costa Coffee drinks!
I’ve gotten tired of constantly Googling this, so I’ve decided to create my own guide. It’s a bit like what happened with constantly stopping at Welcome Break service stations… this is here as much for you guys, as it is for me!
So, without further adieu, my guide for Costa Coffee vegan drinks (and snacks). Including a few tasty Costa Coffee drink hacks.
Last updated: May 2017. Source: Allergen menu
Vegan friendly drinks
- Americano (with soy if not black)
- Soy Flat White
- Soy Caffe Latte
- Soy Cappuccino (see syrups note)
- Soy Cortado
- Soy Macchiato
- Soy Chai Latte
- Soy Specialty Latte (see syrups note)
- Thoroughly Minted
- The Earl
- Citrus & Ginger
- Simply Sencha
- Everyday Tea
- English Breakfast Decaf
- Iced Americano (+ with soy milk)
- Iced Espresso
- Iced Ristretto
- Soy Iced Cappuccino (see syrups note)
- Soy Iced Chai Latte
- Soy Iced Chocolate
- Soy Iced Cortado
- Soy Iced Espresso Macchiato
- Soy Iced Specialty Latte (see syrups note)
- Soy Iced Latte
- Soy Coffee Cooler
- Blackberry And Raspberry Fruit Cooler
- Mango And Passion Fruit Cooler
- Tropical Fruit Cooler
- Superday Smoothie (Red, Green and Yellow)
- Peach Lemonade
- Peach Iced Tea
- Lemon Iced Tea
- Sugar free caramel
- Sugar free gingerbread
Seasonal Specials at Costa Coffee
As with most coffee chains in the UK, Costa Coffee likes to bring out seasonal specials! Christmas is the most obvious one, but summer and autumn bring temporary drinks too.
Christmas drinks that are vegan-friendly:
- Soy salted caramel cappuccino
- Soy gingerbread latte
- Soy honeycomb latte
- Soy amaretti latte
Unfortunately all the specialty hot chocolates (Lindt hot chocolate, mint hot chocolate, black forest hot chocolate, toasted marshmallow hot chocolate) are still not suitable due to the milk powder in their cocoa mix!
Seasonal special syrups – all (currently) vegan-friendly:
- Salted caramel
Drinks to avoid
- Hot chocolate (all, including Lindt)
- Mocha – all types
- Sweet & Low sweeter
Costa Coffee Vegan Secret Menu?
The Starbucks “Secret Menu” is absurdly well known, but I like to toy with the menu (and poor baristas tempers) at all coffee places. If they have vegan syrups, it’s fair game in my book! Why not try one of these out next time you’re at Costa?
- Cinnamon roll latte: Vanilla soy latte with cinnamon syrup
- Cinnamon french toast latte: Hazelnut soy latte with cinnamon syrup
- Caramel snickerdoodle latte: Caramel soy latte with cinnamon and vanilla syrups
- Cake batter latte: Vanilla soy latte with hazelnut syrup
Can you tell I Have a think for cinnamon??
Vegan food at Costa Coffee
I’ll just put this out there right now: the vegan food at Costa is awful. Why? Because they don’t have any! At the time of writing (February 2017) there are no sandwiches, wraps, salads etc available at Costa Coffee that are suitable for vegans. I don’t count the toast as a ‘choice’ since there doesn’t even seem to be dairy free spread! There are a few snacks and nibbles, which I’ve listed below.
- Dried mango chunks
- Dried Fruit & Nuts
- Dark Chocolate
- Tyrrells Sweet And Salty Popcorn
- Tyrrells Lightly Sea Salted Crisps
- Tyrrells Sea Salt And Cider Vinegar Crisps
- Tyrrells Sweet Chilli And Red Pepper Crisps
- Tyrrells Mixed Root Vegetable Crisps
- Toast (no butter) with Marmite, Marmalade or Strawberry jam
What’s my order?
My favourite vegan drink to order at Costa Coffee is (at the moment) primo soy cappuccino, with sugar free gingerbread syrup. And the chocolate dusting, every time!