Ever find yourself walking into a coffee shop – especially the chain ones that are like, every ten feet, and feeling overwhelmed by the generic menu boards and no obvious allergen menu? And let’s not forget the queue of impatient people that don’t want to hang around! Well, here’s my solution to that, one chain at a time. This time: vegan Costa Coffee drinks!
I’ve gotten tired of constantly Googling this, so I’ve decided to create my own guide. It’s a bit like what happened with constantly stopping at Welcome Break service stations… this is here as much for you guys, as it is for me!
So, without further adieu, my guide for Costa Coffee vegan drinks (and snacks). Including a few tasty Costa Coffee drink hacks.
Last updated: January 2019. Source: Allergen menu
Coffee – with soy, almond or coconut milk substitutes
- Caramel Cortado
- Flat White
Tea and Hot Chocolate
- Hot Chocolate (no whipped cream or marshmallows)
- Thoroughly Minted
- The Earl
- Citrus & Ginger
- Simply Sencha
- Everyday Tea
- English Breakfast Decaf
- Iced Americano
- Iced Espresso
- Iced Ristretto
- Iced Cappuccino
- Iced Popcorn Cappuccino
- Iced Latte
- Iced Chai Latte
- Iced Chocolate
- Iced Cortado
- Iced Espresso Macchiato
- White Cold Brew
Frostino’s and Coolers
- Coffee Frostino
- Belgian Chocolate Frostino
- Belgian Chocolate Coffee Frostino
- Creamy Strawberry Frostino (regular, not the limited edition)
- Mint Chocolate Chip Frostino (regular, not the limited edition)
- Red Summer Berries Fruit Cooler
- Mango And Passion Fruit Cooler
- Coconut And Watermelon Fruit Cooler
Additions/notable vegan-friendly ingredients
- Belgian Dark Chocolate Sauce
- Buttermint sauce
- Cappuccino Dusting/Magic Cocoa Dust
- Caramel Vermicelli
- Chocolate Pieces
- Raspberry Flavoured Sauce
- Caramel (inc sugar free)
Seasonal Specials at Costa Coffee
As with most coffee chains in the UK, Costa Coffee likes to bring out seasonal specials. Christmas is the most obvious one, but summer and autumn bring temporary drinks too.
Christmas drinks that are vegan-friendly:
- Soy gingerbread latte
Unfortunately all the speciality hot chocolates (Lindt hot chocolate, mint hot chocolate, black forest hot chocolate, toasted marshmallow hot chocolate) are still not suitable due to the milk powder in their cocoa mix.
Vegan-friendly seasonal special syrups:
- Gingerbread (inc sugar free)
Drinks to avoid
- Lindt Hot Chocolate
- Mocha Cortado
- Sweet & Low sweeter
- Spice Apple Juice
Costa Coffee Vegan Secret Menu?
The Starbucks “Secret Menu” is absurdly well known, but I like to toy with the menu (and poor baristas tempers) at all coffee places. If they have vegan syrups, it’s fair game in my book! Why not try one of these out next time you’re at Costa?
- Cinnamon roll latte: Vanilla soy latte with cinnamon syrup
- Cinnamon french toast latte: Hazelnut soy latte with cinnamon syrup
- Caramel snickerdoodle latte: Caramel soy latte with cinnamon and vanilla syrups
- Cake batter latte: Vanilla soy latte with hazelnut syrup
Can you tell I have a thing for cinnamon??
Vegan food at Costa Coffee
Historically speaking, Costa Coffee has been my least favourite haunt when I want something to eat and drink, however, as of 2019, things are… improving? I mean don’t get me wrong, they’re not my top choice (yet?) but at least I don’t groan when they’re the only thing around. I tend to just get toast and marmite, right now. My children like to steal pieces and gumming the crusts keeps them occupied for five minutes, so it’s a win-win order.
Unfortunately, they do have a nasty habit of removing one item and replacing it with another, rather than extending their range to more items. Remember than Oaty Jam Bake? Gone. But they have a cookie (instead)… which I can’t eat because it contains pecans. I’m a bit bitter about that.
- White/Brown Toast (no butter) – sunflower spread; marmalade, marmite or jam
- Red Thai Curry Pot
- Tomato & Basil Soup
Sweets, Snacks and other bits
- Sticky Toffee & Pecan Cookie
- Fruit Pot
- Natural Mixed Nuts
- Naturally Sweet Dried Mango
- Costa Dark Chocolate
- Maple Granola and Coconut
- Raspberry Coconut and Seed Sprinkle
- Mixed Berry Compote
What’s my order?
My favourite vegan drink to order at Costa Coffee is (at the moment) primo soy mocha.