So today, this happened. It was amazing. It was so good I was torn between eating it as fast as humanly possible because it just tasted so good – and eating it as slowly as possible to make it last longer. I sort of alternated between the two! I’ve been thinking about this concoction for a while – since I bought about half a litre of coconut water – and was so happy with how it turned out! The swap from regular water to coconut water helps add a ever-so-subtle add touch of ‘tropical’ to this coconut & banana oatmeal – which, granted, would be pretty awesome on it’s own.
Vanilla Protein + Coconut & Banana Oatmeal?
Okay, so I added vanilla protein powder to mine for an added angle on the flavour, and to improve the macronutrient balance of the meal, but this is totally optional. If you’d rather leave it out, just add some vanilla extract instead.
If you are adding it to your oatmeal, my tip would be this: add the protein powder towards the end of cooking, mixed with a little coconut milk – this way the oats gain a really creamy texture that just begs to be eaten.
In the photo below I’ve topped my coconut & banana oatmeal with half a sliced peach, half a sliced banana, goji berries and a sprinkling of desiccated coconut, but feel free (obviously) to use whatever you want. If you make this for yourself (or anybody else for that matter!) let me know! Comment below, give me a shout on Twitter (@lucirebecca) or hashtag your creation on Instagram with #madebyluci – you can find me on there too under @lucirebecca.
Creamy Coconut & Banana Oatmeal Recipe
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
Creamy and delicious, this bowl of protein oatmeal is great way to start your day!
- Prep: 2 minutes
- Cook: 10 minutes
- Total: 12 minutes
- Serves 1
- Calories 266
- 30g instant oats
- 125ml coconut water
- 100ml water
- 1/2 banana (~50g) banana, mashed
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1g desiccated coconut
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (if not using protein powder)
- 60ml coconut milk (like Alpro)
- 1/2 tsp stevia or other sweetener
- 10g vegan vanilla flavoured protein
- Add the coconut water, water and oats to a pan and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the banana, coconut oil, desiccated coconut and stevia, if using. Remember to stir!
- If you're using protein powder, mix it with the coconut milk to form a paste. If you're not, add the vanilla extract to the coconut milk.
- Add the coconut milk mixture to the pan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until porridge reaches your desired consistency. Pour into a bowl, top as required, and dig in!
- Sliced banana, sliced peaches, desiccated coconut, dried berries, chia seeds (could also be added to the porridge), chopped/flaked almonds