Hands up if you like a savoury breakfasts? Well – this one is for you. Although, if you’re like me and prefer something sweet for breakfast then don’t panic either – just do what I do, and eat this curried kale and tofu scramble at lunch instead.
Do you know that sometimes I spend absolutely ages planning and researching and making recipes? We’ll eat the same food for weeks in a row until I get it right. And then… sometimes… this happens. This being the sudden realisation that one of the quick little meals I like to throw together is actually might go down well on here.
And so… that’s how you’ve come to be reading about my favourite kale and tofu scramble right now. Because for some reason, I made this for the first time in months on Saturday, and then again on Sunday and here we are. It’s so quick and easy to put together, it’d be a shame not to.
Curried tofu scramble
Indian-inspired flavours are up there with my most favourite of flavours – my hands naturally gravitate towards them in my spice rack. Even when I don’t want them to, I often end up with some cumin seeds or turmeric in a dish, or a pinch of garam masala tossed in as a final seasoning adjustment. That’s sort of what happened with this tofu scramble. When I set about making it on Saturday, I was dead set on making a sort of BBQ-esque flavour lunch. Something a bit sweet, all paprika and garlic and maybe just a little ketchup somewhere. I really was.
And then I was looking at my spices and… picking up cumin instead. The rest, as they say, is history. Or in this case, is in the recipe.
But really, it doesn’t matter if you want the flavour to turn out like. If curry flavours aren’t you think – add something else! The great thing about tofu is also its worst: it’s lack of flavour. This dish will adapt to whatever spices you throw at it. Let me know your combinations below!
If you want more recipes with tofu, try one of these vegan options:
- Salted Caramel Vegan Protein Smoothie Bowl
- Healthy Chickpea & Cauliflower Casserole
- Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
- Cheesy, Creamy Vegan Lasagna
Curried Kale and Tofu Scramble
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
Try this wonderfully simple, amazingly versatile kale and tofu scramble for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner for a quick, healthy vegan meal.
- Prep: 3 minutes
- Cook: 12 minutes
- Total: 15 minutes
- Serves 2
- Calories 187
- 160g (~10 medium) mushrooms, chopped
- 80g frozen sweetcorn (thawed)
- 1 x 395g packet silken tofu
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Large pinch of black salt (optional)
- 100g sliced curly kale
- to serve
- bread, to toast
- Put a medium-large saute or frying pan over a medium heat and add a splash of water.
- Put the mushrooms and sweetcorn in the pan and let them cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms soften and change colour (about five minutes)
- Drain the tofu of any water and add it to the saucepan, as well as all the spices. Continue to cook the mixture, stirring often, for about five minutes.
- Add the kale to the pan and cover. If serving on toast (as pictured), put the bread in the toaster.
- After a few minutes, remove the lid and stir everything until well incorporated, then serve.
* Nutritional information calculated without toast, since that'll vary depending on what you use.