This is probably the recipe that helped throw a spanner in the works of my consistent blogging schedule: I wanted perfect pancakes. I made some great sugar free ones. and some blueberry ones along the way too… but they weren’t quite right. Until now: world, meet my vegan, sugar free, absolutely perfect, fluffy American pancakes.
Eventually, I nailed it. Buuut… I was busy. You know how this story goes so I won’t wax lyrical about it. But the point is: I did get my perfect pancakes. One set of twins and another baby later… and I just never told anyone about it, or shared the recipe! I make these pancakes every, dang, week for our Sunday family breakfast. They’re a crowd pleaser for sure: from our youngest tucking in with chubby fingers, curled tightly around a mini-version, to my twins delightedly stabbing their forks into a pile of their pre-chopped up American vegan pancakes, laden with syrup and peanut butter, I rarely get a complaint. I say rarely because well, kids.
No grown up has ever complained. So, I confidently bring to you: my fluffy, American pancake recipe. Dare I say, my perfect pancake recipe. Because I’ve been making it a year, I’ve got some substitutes and alternative that you can confidently throw in, and any differences you can expect.
Foolproof American Vegan Pancakes
- Non-stick frying pan
- Food processor or a blender
- 1 ½ cups self raising flour
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 banana
- ⅔ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Pop a good, non-stick frying pan on a medium heat (on my electric hob, I use a '4' and the highest is 9)
- Pour the milk and vinegar into the blender or food processor. Set aside.⅔ cup non-dairy milk, 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.1 ½ cups self raising flour, ¼ cup chickpea flour, 1 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Add the banana and vegetable oil to the milk mix. Blitz in the blender until smooth (see notes for a non-blender version).1 banana, ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until well combined – you should have a thick mixture.
- Check your frying pan is hot enough by dropping a little water on – it should sizzle.
- When the frying pan is hot, add the mixture a large spoonful at a time. Cook on one side until the top starts to look matte/less shiny – usually about 2-3 minutes. Flip over and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately or keep warm in a low oven while you cook up the rest.
American Vegan Pancakes Ingredient Substitutes
Can I sub…. plain flour (instead of self raising)
Yes, totally. I recommend adding 3 additional teaspoons of baking powder to compensate, otherwise the pancakes won’t be as fluffy and awesome.
Can I…use something other than lemon juice
I’ve used apple cider vinegar and distilled vinegar without issue. Substitute away!
Do I… have to use vegetable oil?
I wouldn’t recommend leaving it out. I’ve tried using a flax-egg mix instead (water and ground flaxseed) but it wasn’t the same. I’ve tried using extra banana, but it wasn’t the same. You can use any neutral flavour oil that you have in though – I just list vegetable oil for ease. I regularly use sunflower or coconut too.
Do I…. have to use chickpea flour?
As above, I wouldn’t recommend leaving it out. It works in tandem with the oil to create the brilliant rise and fluff of these pancakes.