My only memory of grapefruit as a child, is that my mum would eat it when she was on a diet. She’d eat half of a grapefruit for breakfast, every day. I had no idea what it was, other than sour and apparently what was required to loose weight. Not that inspiring, right?
I recently won a competition on Twitter to win a hamper full of fruit and vegetables. How cool is that? But inside the hamper was a fruit I’m not so experienced with: grapefruit! Like I said – my main memory of it was as a diet aid for my mum during the 1990’s so I wasn’t really sure where to start.
My first port of call: flavour thesaurus. It’s a gift I got for Christmas and amazingly useful so far. In it, it lists avocado as a best bud for the bitter grapefruit.
I decided that the best way to try it out was to keep things simple in a healthy salad. Bonus points were awarded for something that I could make easily and pack up in a Tupperware to take to work.
Keeping it simple
I really did keep things simple in the resulting grapefruit & avocado salad. Like, seriously simple! Aside from the headline ingredients, we’ve got:
- Lots of leafy greens
- Raw pumpkin seeds
- Brown rice
- Dressing of choice (or none at all)
Even with that, there’s wiggle room so you can work with what you have. Just got lettuce? Use that! No pumpkin seeds – your salad crunch of choice is fine! Prefer white rice? Use that, no problem. Dressing, schmessing – I’ve had this with
- lime juice (my favourite)
So really… I’m just giving you a different way to eat grapefruit, where all the other parts are swap-able. Like a “build your own salad” but based around grapefruit. Don’t forget to let me know what your favourite combinations are in the comments below .
Grapefruit & Avocado Salad
- 1-2 cups mixed greens
- ¼ grapefruit peeled and sliced
- ½ small avocado peeled and sliced
- 1 cup cooked rice I like to use brown rice
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- Place greens in a plate or bowl. Add the rice next, then the avocado and grapefruit slices. Finally, sprinkle over the pumpkin seeds.
- Drizzle over a dressing if desired - I love using lime juice.
Looking for more healthy food ideas?
You’re in the right place! All of these healthy recipes are vegan, and most of them are gluten free too:
- White Bean and Blackberry Salad
- Crispy Chickpea Salad with Spicy Lemon Pepper Dressing
- Mushroom Stroganoff
- Healthy Chickpea and Cauliflower Casserole