There is a distinct contrast in the weather in Manchester at the moment. We swing from days of deluge to positively spring-like weather literally overnight. My friends… I am confused. Do I want comfort food or fresh, spring flavours? I literally do not know. I plan in our weekly dinners and find myself, usually, a day behind the weather. As in many other situations, soup is my answer to the confusion. This time, chestnut and mushroom soup. Why? Well, I asked my OH what kind of soup he wanted, and this was his request.
I should probably add a disclaimer: I gave him a choice of chestnut soups. Why? Well, I picked up some pre-roasted, pre-pureed chestnuts* from my local supermarket at a bargain price (seriously, 30p!). I suggested we could have Chestnut & Brussel Sprout Soup, this one, or Chestnut and Roast Parsnip Soup. The chestnut and mushroom soup, it turns out, is his favourite so his decision was an easy one.
Personally, I’m not biased against any soup. I love them all equally… except for plain tomato soup, weirdly. And only when I’m out at a restaurant! At home, I don’t mind it. Do you have any odd food preferences?
Luckily, the day I ended up making it was a day full of heavy grey clouds and near endless rain so really, this was perfect. I even treated us to some quick, homemade vegan soda bread (pictured) to dip into this thick, savoury soup and fill us up proper. Vegan soda bread is just as easy to make as regular soda bread, so if you want the recipe let me know in the comments.
Looking for more healthy soup recipes?
- Apple and Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
- Chunky Carrot, Ginger & Kale Soup
- Two Bean Chilli Soup
Chestnut and Mushroom Soup Recipe
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion ~60g, diced
- 2 sticks celery ~100g, diced
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 150 g cooked chestnuts sliced or pureed
- 1 small sweet potato ~170g, diced
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 365 g mushrooms sliced (anything from 350g is fine)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce use tamari for gluten free
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- salt and pepper
- Add the olive oil to a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onions, celery and garlic.
- Saute until the onion has softened and turned transparent (depending on how hot your hob is, this'll taken between 5-10 minutes).
- Add the sweet potato and chestnuts. Stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the stock, bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes, then add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes, until the sweet potato is tender.
- Puree the mixture - I use a cheap hand blender for this every time. Way less washing up than a blender.
- Stir in soy sauce and parsley, heating the soup back to your desired temperature. Season to taste and serve in warmed bowls.
Originally posted in December 2015. Recipe adapted from ‘Roast Chestnut and Mushroom Soup’ from A Soup for Every Day from Covent Garden