Mango, in November? I know what you’re thinking – I’ve gone crazy. Or clearly moved to some hot, exotic country and not mentioned it. Nope – neither. I have, however, discovered canned mango pulp from my supermarket. Enter: mango curry (thank you Vegan Richa), mango oatmeal, mango pancakes, and healthy mango muffins. All. Year. Round.
These low fat, vegan mango muffins smell amazing – they’re the kind of muffin that wafts out of the tin whenever you remove the lid. This has it’s pitfalls – if you were 50/50 about having a muffin, as soon as you smell the sweet, fruity aroma of mangos you’ll 100% be taking one.
This has happened to me, personally, three times. In two days. Be careful opening that tin!
And, while we’re on the subject of being unable to resist them – can we take a moment to look at admire the colour inside? Practically golden! All natural, as well: it’s from all the mango puree we add to the batter. How cool is that?
The perfect healthy treat
Because of all the mango puree in these muffins, they don’t need much fat to be added. In fact, each of these muffins has just 7 grams of fat – and most of that is from cholesterol-free coconut oil and omega-packed ground flaxseeds.
I chose to add in shredded, unsweetened coconut both to the batter and in the topping for the muffins because… well in my mind mango and coconut are two best friends, who don’t like to separate. They’re great on their own, and fantastic together. If coconut isn’t your thing, you could try leaving it out – I haven’t done it myself, but it shouldn’t change the bake too much. I recommend trying the mango muffins with the coconut though – it adds a new dimension to the texture that I, personally, really liked.
Looking for more vegan baking inspiration?
- Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- Chocolate Fudge Vegan Muffins
- Vegan Lemon Cupcakes
- Mini Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- Vegan Scones
Healthy Vegan Mango Muffins Recipe
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water
- 190 g plain flour ~1 ½ cups
- 65 g chickpea flour ~½ cup
- 100 g sugar ~½ cup
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 360 ml canned mango puree ~1 ½ cups
- 60 ml melted coconut oil ~¼ cup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 20 g unsweetened, shredded coconut (½ cup)
- 10 g unsweetened, shredded coconut (¼ cup) for topping -optional
- Mix the water and flaxseed together in a bowl. Set aside until it gels, between 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 160°C, line a 12 hole muffin tray with paper case and spritz with some oil.
- Once the flaxseed has gelled, add the flours, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt to the bowl and give it a quick stir.
- Make a well in the centre and add the mango puree, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Mix everything together until well combined, then fold in the shredded coconut.
- Divide evenly between the 12 muffin cases, and lightly press in the additional shredded coconut if using.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a tooth pick, when inserted into the middle, comes out clean.