Mango, in November? I know what you’re thinking – I’ve gone crazy. Or clearly moved to some hot, exotic country and not mentioned it. Nope – neither. I have, however, discovered canned mango pulp from my supermarket. Enter: mango curry (thank you Vegan Richa), mango oatmeal, mango pancakes, and healthy mango muffins. All. Year. Round.
These low fat, vegan mango muffins smell amazing – they’re the kind of muffin that wafts out of the tin whenever you remove the lid. This has it’s pitfalls – if you were 50/50 about having a muffin, as soon as you smell the sweet, fruity aroma of mangos you’ll 100% be taking one.
This has happened to me, personally, three times. In two days. Be careful opening that tin!
And, while we’re on the subject of being unable to resist them – can we take a moment to look at admire the colour inside? Practically golden! All natural, as well: it’s from all the mango puree we add to the batter. How cool is that?
The perfect healthy treat
Because of all the mango puree in these muffins, they don’t need much fat to be added. In fact, each of these muffins has just 7 grams of fat – and most of that is from cholesterol-free coconut oil and omega-packed ground flaxseeds.
I chose to add in shredded, unsweetened coconut both to the batter and in the topping for the muffins because… well in my mind mango and coconut are two best friends, who don’t like to separate. They’re great on their own, and fantastic together. If coconut isn’t your thing, you could try leaving it out – I haven’t done it myself, but it shouldn’t change the bake too much. I recommend trying the mango muffins with the coconut though – it adds a new dimension to the texture that I, personally, really liked.
Looking for more vegan baking inspiration?
- Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- Chocolate Fudge Vegan Muffins
- Vegan Lemon Cupcakes
- Mini Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- Vegan Scones
Healthy Mango Muffins (vegan)
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
Sensationally aromatic, these healthy, vegan mango muffins will draw you in with just their smell!
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 25 minutes
- Total: 58 minutes
- Yield 12
- Calories 201
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water
- 190g (~1 1/2 cups) plain white flour
- 65g (~1/2 cup) chickpea/besan flour
- 100g (~1/2 cup) sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 360ml (~1 1/2 cups) mango puree
- 60ml (~1/4 cup) melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 20g (~1/2 cup) shredded, unsweetened coconut
- **toppings - optional**
- 10g (~1/4 cup) shredded, unsweetened coconut
- Mix the ground flaxseed and water together in a dish. Set aside to gel.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 160°C and line a 12-hole muffin tin with papers.
- Add all the dry ingredients, except for the shredded coconut, to a large mixing bowl and stir them together.
- Add all the liquid ingredients and stir everything together until it's well combined.
- Fold in the shredded coconut, then divide the batter between the 12 muffin cases.
- If using the shredded coconut topping, press this gently into the tops of the muffins now.
- Place them in the centre of a preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.