If you’ve been here awhile, or follow me on things like Instagram or Twitter, you’ll no doubt be familiar with several things:
- I love Indian dishes
- I love porridge
- I love experimenting with my food
This curry porridge recipe was originally the direct result of all three of the above things. Well, those and a need for a quick and easy work lunch prep late one Sunday night! I knew it was likely to be a bit rainy the next day (hello England) so wanted something easy and warm.
It’s evolved ever so slightly since then, with the final edition being finalised recently on #nationalporridgeday – which I totally forgot about and missed out on in the morning. Don’t worry, I didn’t miss out! I had this Indian-spiced curry porridge for dinner to rectify the situation.
But, savoury porridge?
Yes, it’s really a thing! I’ve shared some of my successful experiments in this area before, remember my savoury vegan cheese oatmeal? And this is the continuation of those experiments. You can really have this porridge this at any time of day – I’ve had it at breakfast, I’ve had it for a quick lunch, and I’ve had it as a simple dinner! I think because it’s a combination of traditional breakfast oats and a simple Indian-inspired spices. Individually, very breakfast OR dinner, but together? Amazingly versatile!
I’ve recommended adding peas for a bit of additional flavour and also to make it more like (very oaty) vegetable curry, however really you could use whatever you have to hand! Frozen carrots? Broccoli florets? Sweetcorn? I’ve tried them all! Personally, I’m favouring a combination of peas and sweetcorn at the moment. The sweetcorn adds little bursts of sweetness.
- ½ cup oats ~45g
- 1 small carrot, grated ~½ cup packed/70g
- 1 ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 240 ml 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup frozen peas ~60g
- 2 tbsp unflavoured pea protein ~10g, optional
- any sweetener to taste
- Add the carrot, oats, water, garam masala and turmeric to a pan. Bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes, until most of the water is absorbed.1/2 cup oats, 1 small carrot, grated, 1 ½ tsp garam masala powder, 240 ml 1 cup water, ½ tsp turmeric
- Add the protein powder (if using) and frozen peas. Add sweetener to taste and simmer, stirring often until your desired consistency is reached. Add a little more water if the protein powder has made it too dry.2 tbsp unflavoured pea protein, ⅓ cup frozen peas
- Serve as is or topped with chutney (I like hot lime!) and sliced chillies.