If you’ve been here awhile, or follow me on things like Instagram or Twitter, you’ll no doubt be familiar with several things:
- I love Indian dishes
- I love porridge
- I love experimenting with my food
This curry porridge recipe was originally the direct result of all three of the above things. Well, those and a need for a quick and easy work lunch prep late one Sunday night! I knew it was likely to be a bit rainy the next day (hello England) so wanted something easy and warm.
It’s evolved ever so slightly since then, with the final edition being finalised recently on #nationalporridgeday – which I totally forgot about and missed out on in the morning. Don’t worry, I didn’t miss out! I had this Indian-spiced curry porridge for dinner to rectify the situation.
But, savoury porridge?
Yes, it’s really a thing! I’ve shared some of my successful experiments in this area before, remember my savoury vegan cheese oatmeal? And this is the continuation of those experiments. You can really have this porridge this at any time of day – I’ve had it at breakfast, I’ve had it for a quick lunch, and I’ve had it as a simple dinner! I think because it’s a combination of traditional breakfast oats and a simple Indian-inspired spices. Individually, very breakfast OR dinner, but together? Amazingly versatile!
I’ve recommended adding peas for a bit of additional flavour and also to make it more like (very oaty) vegetable curry, however really you could use whatever you have to hand! Frozen carrots? Broccoli florets? Sweetcorn? I’ve tried them all! Personally, I’m favouring a combination of peas and sweetcorn at the moment. The sweetcorn adds little bursts of sweetness.
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
A great switch up to an often sweet recipe, this savoury curry porridge recipe is perfect for any time of the day!
- Prep: 1 minute
- Cook: 5 minutes
- Total: 6 minutes
- Serves 1
- Calories 281
- 1/2 cup (~45g) cup oats
- 1 small carrot, grated (1/2 cup packed/70g)
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 240ml (1 cup) water
- 1/3 cup frozen peas (~60g)
- 10g (2 tbsp) unflavoured pea protein (optional)
- Add the carrot, oats, water, garam masala and turmeric to a pan. Bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes, until most of the water is absorbed. Add the protein powder (if using) and frozen peas. Add sweetener to taste and simmer, stirring often until your desired consistency is reached. Add a little more water if the protein powder has made it too dry.
- Serve as is or topped with chutney (I like hot lime!) and sliced chillies.
Calculated with optional pea protein.