Oh look, another soup recipe! I can’t help myself guys – soups just make getting vegetables in so easy! And, what’s nicer on a cold day than wrapping your hands round a bowl of soup? They’re also so simple to make. This kale & potato soup doesn’t even need a blender – it’s just chop, simmer and eat. What’s not to love about that?
Usually I’m more of a fan of a blended soup, so that it’s thick and full of all the flavour in every mouthful. I have a history of making, and sharing them, right here. Past blended soups include:
However this time I was feeling a little lazy (read: didn’t want to wash the blender) yet I also wanted soup for lunch… so this simple kale & potato soup came into being.
Soft carrots and bendy celery
Soups for me are fantastic for using up leftover vegetables. I knew I wanted something with kale so I could get some dark, leafy greens into my body but other than that, this was a soup borne of the fridge, and a handful of potatoes lurking in my pantry. Side note: my pantry is not a pantry (one day… #lifegoals). My pantry is a pull out trolley that has a microwave on top and lives in the downstairs toilet that also doubles (trebles?) as a cloakroom and storage area. I use the little trolley to keep my sugars, piping bags, onions and you guessed it, potatoes, out of the light most of the time. It’s a windowless little place, but useful. Anyway, back on track!
If, like me, you often discover carrots that have gone a bit soft, or celery that bends instead of stands upright, don’t throw them away. Vegetables like that are just begging to used in a soup! Roughly chop them up, throw them in a pot and hey! Your bin isn’t as full and your belly is satisfied.
Kale & potato soup is perfect with fresh crusty bread – warmed in the oven is even better. It’s also really good with garlic bread – better, even. But I am a fan of garlic, so I am probably biased. You could also serve it with my gluten free savoury herb muffins, spread with a little dairy free spread.
Although, I’dd admit since is such a healthy soup that sometimes I also skip the bread altogether and have a pudding instead. Gotta keep everything in balance, right?
Healthy Kale & Potato Soup Recipe
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
Give yourself a healthy, filling bowl of kale and potato soup without the need for even a blender! Just dice some vegetables, add some vegetable stock and enjoy.
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- Total: 25 minutes
- Serves 2
- Calories 111
- 120g potato, diced into bitesize pieces
- 80g carrots, diced into bitesize pieces
- 70g celery, finely chopped
- 50ml white wine
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 60g curly kale, sliced
- salt & pepper
- Put a saucepan on a medium heat. Add the potato, celery and carrot to the pan with about two tablespoons of water. Season with salt. Cover the pan and leave to sweat for five minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the white wine and cook on a higher heat for a few minutes. Add the spices and vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until the potato and carrot are tender (about 10 minutes, but will depend on how big/small you chopped them).
- Add the kale and cook for a few minutes more, until the kale has wilted.
- Divide between two bowls, serve with warm, crusty bread and enjoy.