Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /var/sites/m/madebyluci.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/plugins/easy-nutrition-facts-label/nutrition-facts-label.php on line 265
So, I’ve managed to overdose on my obsession of cookies: I’ve tackled my top three favourite flavours: Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal & Raisin and look out soon for my Double Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, developed just for my mum! Now, instead, I’m currently a bit obsessed with lemons in my kitchen and baking adventures. Lemon shortbread. Lemon and nut cookies. Lemon cake. Lemon squeezed over rice. Lemon cooked with rice. Lemon salad dressings… Lemon lemon lemon! I’m not sure why – I literally have a jar of them on the counter and my notebook of things I want to try and make is currently about 90% full of lemon-based ideas! So, naturally, lemon baked goods are on their way. And first up: lemon, peach & thyme muffins.
When I got invited to take part in a competition which meant I could cook or bake whatever I pleased, I was pretty darned excited. I literally span about about 20 ideas into my notebook in about as many seconds! This recipe was at the forefront however, because I wanted to make some muffins that:
- Had a good rise on them, like the ones in coffee shops
- Were light on the palete
- Involved lemons
- Were 100% Vegan
Because, readers, did you know that I’ve not been able to enjoy a muffin since going plant-based? Not a single one! I used to indulge in stealing a bite of my OH’s lemon muffin, or a quick nibble of a sticky toffee one but now neither of us partake and our coffee breaks on weekends in the City have been sadly devoid of all baked goods completely!
Be thrifty – use canned peaches
I used a simple cheap can of canned peaches in syrup to make these lemon, peach & thyme muffins. I wanted home-baked vegan muffins that wouldn’t cost the earth! I’ve kept the syrup aside and from a whole can got 18 muffins! I’ve kept the peach syrup aside for use in things like sweet breads, pancakes, porridge and smoothies – whatever comes first or I have the time for. So probably porridge or pancakes.
Fresh thyme? In a muffin?
Fresh citrus notes. The sweet bite of peach. A lovely hint of thyme.
Hold up, thyme?
I can hear you saying it now! Before you switch off at the mention of involving fresh herbs in your sweet bakes, trust me. I tested these out on 18 people and even the self-confessed skeptics loved them! The thyme isn’t overpowering, but more of a subtle background that helps enhance the lemon and peach flavours. It’s a yummy way to use thyme you’ve got growing in a pot, or if you have a bit leftover from baking a savoury dish. I use a tablespoon (chopped) to make 12, but if you have a bit less that’s fine too. If you add more than a tablespoon you’re going to get a stronger, less subtle flavour and likewise, if you use about a 2 teaspoons, it’s not quite present enough.
Now, on with the recipe!
Lemon, Peach & Thyme Vegan Muffins
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 25 minutes
- Total: 30 minutes
- Yield 15
- Calories 150
- 2 flax eggs
- 250g plain flour
- 100g sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup dairy-free milk (240ml)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp of canned peach syrup (or use another 2 tbsp oil)
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract (optional, for extra lemoniness)
- zest + juice 1 lemon
- 90-100g chopped peaches
- Turn your oven on to 180°C (fan). Line a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Prepare your flax eggs in a small bowl and set aside to thicken (takes about five minutes).
- Add your milk and lemon juice to a small jug, set aside.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and then add the sugar, baking powder, salt, chopped thyme, and lemon zest. Stir to mix.
- Add the oil, syrup (if using), lemon extract, flax eggs and milk mixture to the bowl. Add the chopped peaches. Stir until just barely combined.
- Divide between the 12 muffin holes and tap the tin on a work surface a few times, so there are a few broken air bubbles on the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then cool in their cases for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.