Last week, I really wanted some cookies. I know what started it – it wasn’t a random craving. At work there is a tin full of biscuits (similar to cookies, for the Americans among you but smaller, and usually with more of a crisp bite). The problem, as I’m sure you can imagine, was that I couldn’t have any! So there I was, 3pm, hankering for a biscuit with my decaf coffee and denied. Utter dismay! That evening I set about making my first batch of mini delights: these mini peanut butter shortbread cookies!
The wonderful thing about biscuits based on shortbread is how easy they are to make. Seriously, we’re talking minutes here! Granted, double figures minutes but minutes none the less!
I don’t know about you, but easy cookies suit me just fine, especially on a week night. Because these peanut butter cookies are miniature too, they even take next to no time in the oven. Can I get a “hooray” for fast food cookies?!
So many peanut butters, so little time
If you follow me on Instagram you may have noticed my penchant for peanut butters (and cashew butter, almond butter, pistachio butter… ) before. I love popping a spoonful on my porridge in the morning! And spreading on rice cakes with some banana slices.
But which peanut butter should you use for these peanut butter cookies? Well, I prefer a crunchy one – it gives you, well, peanut crunchies in the cookies that are, frankly, awesome. However you could just as easily add smooth too! My peanut butter was a really delicious, deep roasted one (before I used it all up making cookies and spooning it on to porridge, sigh!) which made these cookies really moreish rather than sweet. If you prefer your cookies very sweet, add more sugar.
And with that, I will leave you to your baking…
Mini Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 flax egg 1 tbsp/7g ground flaxseed +3 tbsp water
- 75 g plain flour gluten free works too
- 35 g caster sugar
- 1 Pinch of xantham gum omit if not using gluten free flour
- 35 g peanut butter I used crunchy
- 35 g vegetable margarine/coconut oil melted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with greaseproof baking paper.
- Make the flax egg by combining the water and ground flaxseed and set aside to gel for a few minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix together until a dough is formed.
- Divide the dough in eight. Roll into balls, then press each ball into a thick cookie shape.
- Arrange on the prepared baking tray and place in the centre of a preheated oven. Bake for 10 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
[amazon_link asins=’B00LKE1RWU,B01B80FTXI,B00LKE1SII,B01IPKJXAY,B003VJQN0I’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’madbyluc-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’cbc471d2-18ac-11e7-b092-bd481f1b3884′]