There was, briefly, warm weather wasn’t there? I didn’t imagine it? Because I did have some Pimms in the cupboard, and now the bottle is in the recycling. Pimms consumption usually implies warm weather in my household! And what else goes well with summer? Cocktails.
But, alas, I live in Britain, and like I mentioned… warm weather tends to be brief. But muffins, they can be devoured in rain, sun, snow, or any kind of weather you can imagine! So, in lieu of any consistent summer, I decided to share my mojito-inspired coconut & lime muffins recipe with you all!
And, OK, cocktails: they go down well at any time of year, in my opinion, but bear with me. I mention cocktails because I love the flavours you can have, not necessarily the alcohol content (intact, I try to get the lowest percentage ones I can!). One such flavour I really like is sweet mojitos (rather than sour) – there’s something so refreshing and summer-like about the combination lime and mint that calls to so very often from cocktail menus.
And so, when the sun was out recently, I was thinking about mojitos, and how I could work them into a recipe… and so I came to the idea of “Mojito Muffins” – upping the tropical flavour with the addition of coconut for that extra summery vibe, and without the rum because… well to be brutally honest, because I don’t have any white rum in at the moment. That’s the sole reason. I have coconut banana rum, and coconut caramel rum… but not white rum. And I’m sorry my friends, but the two coconut rums are for drinking, not baking. They’re too tasty for me to part with in a bake!
A refreshing twist
You might be skeptical about adding fresh mint to your coconut & lime muffins, but please, do try it. It adds an extra, subtle zing and really compliments the flavours of the lime (which I suppose is the idea behind the mojitos!). A bit like in my lemon, peach and thyme muffins – it’s not the “norm” but it is totally worth it. And then you can make mojitos with the leftover mint! And maybe some oats too! Like After Eights? Try this indulgent chocolate and mint recipe for your morning meal. Prefer a fruitier breakfast? Then give these apple, blueberry and mint oats a go (yes, I like mint!)
Coconut & Lime “Mojito” Muffins
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- Total: 25 minutes
- Serves 12
- Calories 180
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp milled linseed + 6 tbsp water)
- 200g plain flour
- 50g coconut flour
- 125g sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5g mint, muddled and then chopped
- 60g desiccated coconut, divided
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest and juice of of 1 lime
- Prepare your flax eggs and set aside to thicken.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan), line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Meanwhile, mix together 50g of the dessicated coconut with the rest of the dry ingredients, and the lime zest, in a mixing bowl.
- In large jug, or another mixing bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (including the lime juice).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and very quickly mix until just combined - no more than 20 seconds. You'll have a very thick batter.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared cases, then bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until the tops are starting to turn golden.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.