Neapolitan ice-cream: that’s where this started. I can’t remember why, but I was thinking about it and how I’d quite like some because, well. Hello! Chocolate, strawberry and vanilla in one place? Sign me up!
But, alas, I don’t have an ice cream maker. Nevertheless, I wasn’t going to let something like that stop me! It was the exquisite trio of flavours I was interested in, rather than the cold bite of an ice cream. I started hunting around in my cupboards for inspiration and stumbled across two things.
- Some lunchbox sized Koko dairy free milks
- Some dried strawberry powder
Somehow these combined in my brain to form this: a Neapolitan chia seed pudding! A quick shout out to the lovely folks over at Koko – they sent me all their milks to try out ages ago and they’re really good! I wouldn’t of thought of this without seeing the combination of their mini milk cartons in my cupboard.
Now, honestly the strawberry powder is optional – I’ve tried the strawberry chia seed pudding both with it and without it and it only makes a difference to the colour. For maximum taste you just need good, flavoured milks. I’m a bit lazy, so the little cartons I had already were perfect. Each carton I had was 250ml and will do two servings + a little sneaky sip or two.
More breakfast ideas
Looking for more breakfast ideas to mix up your meals? Try one of these breakfast ideas – they’re all vegan and most can be adapted to a gluten free diet easily.
- Fruity Breakfast Muffins (low fat, refined sugar free) – perfect if you’re on the move
- Easy Breakfast Granola Parfait – more layers!
- Apple, Blueberry & Mint Oatmeal – healthy and warming breakfast idea for cold days
- Vegan Apple Pie Smoothie Bowl – dessert for breakfast
Neapolitan Chia Seed Pudding Recipe
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
Make healthy breakfasts fun again with this Neapolitan inspired chia seed pudding. Simply prep the night before and add it all together in the morning!
- Prep: 2 minutes
- Total: 2 minutes
- Serves 1
- 4 tbsp (~28g) chia seeds, divided
- 100ml strawberry dairy free milk
- 1/4 tsp dried strawberry powder (optional)
- 100ml chocolate dairy free milk
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp dairy free yogurt
- The night before, make the chia seed puddings. Divide the chia seeds between two jars or small bowls and add one of the milks to each. Stir well and put in the fridge. Leave overnight to gel.
- In the morning stir each of the chia seed puddings, then assemble! Grab a tall enough glass (for prettiness) or a bowl (for ease). Add the chocolate chia seed pudding, then the strawberry chia seed pudding, then the dairy free yogurt.
- Eat and feel slightly smug with your grown up version of Neapolitan ice cream!