If there’s one thing that I’m fairly well known for (aside from food) it’s my aversion to camping. One too many flooded and/or leaking tent experiences mean that I just associate camping with being cold, damp and slightly miserable. So imagine everyone’s surprise (including my own) when I agreed to “glamp” in a tipi with my OH at a charity event his company was holding. Since we were the only vegans in attendance, I wanted to be prepared: we went and got a little gas stove, bowl, even a little saucepan set! Then I prepared this idea for a one pot chilli to give us a quick, easy and delicious meal with minimal effort.
Of course what we didn’t foresee was the torrential rain which didn’t stop for over 24 hours (cue: unimpressed face). But perhaps, given my previous experiences with camping, I should have foreseen the flooded tipi.
We ended up driving the 3.5 hours trip home at about 11 o’clock at night. We figured we might as well be tired and exhausted, but in our own bed, rather than in a barn full of other campsite escapees. I say “we” – I didn’t drive. But I did stay awake as moral support, and I think that counts?
So what is the moral of this story? Don’t camp. Just… don’t. Or at least, don’t try to camp in what is known officially as the “wettest place in Wales” because it’s a set up for failure! In the end, I didn’t even make our campfire chilli at the campsite. I made it the next day when we were still sleepy and craving a good, hot meal.
I did still make it in a single pan and in under 20 minutes, though! So it’s still a perfect quick, easy and effortless meal for when you really can’t be bothered with any faff. Even the onion and garlic are optional if you just want to open some tins and lob it all in!
What should you serve a one pot chilli with?
- Zero effort: tortilla chips
- Longer “hands off” cook time: baked potato
- (Slightly) more effort: rice
Want to watch the recipe video?
I made a super quick recipe video for this one too. I wanted to show you just how easy it can be to have a healthy dinner ready in minutes – and a vegan one to boot! You can watch the video for my one pot chilli dinner recipe right here.
One Pan Campfire Chilli (vegan, gluten free)
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
A simple vegetable and kidney bean chilli that requires just one pan and can be ready in 15 minutes - perfect for camping!
- Prep: 2 minutes
- Cook: 25 minutes
- Total: 27 minutes
- Serves 4
- Calories 227
- 1 onion (~70g) onion, diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (optional)
- 1 x 140g tin tomato paste
- 1 x 395g tin kidney beans in chilli sauce
- 1 x 390g tin ratatouille
- 1 x 200g tin sweetcorn, drained
- 1 x tin sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tbsp chilli powder (or less, to taste)
- Add water (or oil) to a large saucepan and place over a medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic gently until the onion is translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve with rice or tortilla chips and enjoy!