Peanut butter banana bread: possibly four of my favourite words. How to level up those four words? Chocolate chip peanut butter banana bread. Oh yes. This stuff? It’s addictive as an after dinner treat, as an elevensies pick-me-up, as a cheeky not-very-healthy breakfast to eat on your way out the door.
I can say all that with confidence because I’ve eaten this peanut butter banana bread every which way. Plus the guilty, just pull a bit off out the tin, way. It’s like sticking your hand in the cookie jar, except with a loaf of bready-cake. Thankfully, it’s just the OH and me in our house, so I never get caught.
…Fifth times a charm?
I’ve made this peanut butter banana bread five times – four times with chocolate chips, one without – within the last couple of months. Why? You ask? Because I have a terrible habit of either not writing down a recipe, or just scribbling it down, and then not keeping track of what I do with that bit of paper. The first time I made this, I knew it wasn’t quite right because it was a little too dense – but I kept that paper scrap, for a change – but then each time after that I either lost the changes, or didn’t even write them down, probably assuming I’d have time to sit down and put a pen to paper later (always a mistake, that assumption). It was a couple of weeks ago that I finally made myself remember to write down my changes! Do you ever do that?
The good thing about having to make this bake five times is that it’s so easy. I mean, I almost feel guilty pulling this out the oven. It takes less than 10 minutes to mix together, and then it’s a fairly long bake at about 45 minutes, but that’s it. Job done – you’ve got a sweet treat done and ready to go, which doesn’t need any icing or additional faffing. What’s not to love?
Looking for more, easy, vegan baking ideas?
Peanut Butter Banana Bread (vegan)
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 45 minutes
- Total: 50 minutes
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water
- 180ml soy milk
- 1 tbsp distilled or apple cider vinegar
- 90g (~1/2 cup) golden brown caster sugar
- 240g (~1 1/2 cups) self raising flour
- 45g (1/2 cup) oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 medium bananas, peeled and mashed (~180g once prepared)
- 90g (~1/3 cup) crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Few drops of banana extract (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Line and grease a loaf tin.
- Mix the ground flaxseed and water in a small dish, to make a flax egg, then set aside to gel.
- In a jug, mix the soy milk and vinegar and set aside to curdle.
- In a mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients and give a quick stir.
- Make a well in the centre, add the mashed bananas, peanut butter, vanilla extract, banana extract (if using) and the soy milk-vinegar mixture.
- Stir until well combined - you should have a very thick batter. Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf tin then place in the centre of the oven to bake for about 45 minutes, until the top is golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.