Save the pumpkin seeds! Save them! They’re basically all you need (OK, you need two more ingredients) to make these sweet, crunchy, slightly addictive roasted sweet pumpkin seeds. Ready? Let’s go.
More often than not, I throw away pumpkin seeds (and, even more often, butternut squash seeds) because well.. faff. It’s so much easier to just scoop them all out and put them in the bin! And then I had a bit of a light bulb moment.
I like to put raw pumpkin seeds on my salads, soups and porridge all the time! I even put them on top of these savoury muffins! So why on earth was I throwing them away all the time?
Yup: light bulb.
So after halloween was over I challenged myself to use the pumpkins in their entirety! I had forgotten to carve the little cuties (I only got small ones) so I had two whole pumpkins to use up. Flesh, seeds and even the stringy bits. Challenge accepted!
The seed solution
My solution with the seeds was simple: I thought about how amazing the crunch was on my crispy roasted chickpeas and wondered could I do something like that with the seeds? Only this time, I wanted something sweet instead.
The result? A three ingredient snack that’s
- great on porridge
- fantastic enjoyed on it’s own
- can be sprinkled on top of breads
So I guess really, that’s all there is to it. I can’t ramble on about three ingredients for very long! Dive in and make up some of your own roasted sweet pumpkin seeds!
Other awesome things you can make with pumpkin:
- Pumpkin Protein Blondies
- Healthier Pumpkin & Cranberry Muffins
- Or if you just want the pumpkin spice taste – Raw Pumpkin Pie Energy Balls
Roasted Sweet Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 pumpkin seeds only
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Optional: soak the pumpkin seeds for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160° C (fan).
- Wash the pumpkin seeds, then dry thoroughly on a tea towel.
- Line a tray with greaseproof baking paper and spread the pumpkin seeds out.
- Drizzle over the maple syrup and sprinkle over the cinnamon. Mix it all together on the tray (no sense in getting a bowl dirty!)
- Roast the pumpkin seeds for 15 minutes, or until golden.