Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /var/sites/m/madebyluci.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/plugins/easy-nutrition-facts-label/nutrition-facts-label.php on line 265
Does anybody else remember the special mocha flavour that Starbucks featured over the spring? I do. I remember thinking – pistachios? I’m in! As soon as I found myself near that coffee shop I knew exactly what I wanted to try! And try it I did, both with soy and coconut milk but… was I the only non-dairy drinker who was disappointed? Since I couldn’t have the pistachio-and-rose whipped cream I think it lost most of its flavour. I feel it was unfair to say it just wasn’t any good. It just wasn’t designed for non-dairy drinkers! So… I took the idea.
And ran with it. I ran straight to breakfast.
After my experience with the rose and pistachio mocha as a drink, the flavour combination stayed with me. For ages. It sat in the back of my brain and poked at me whenever I was milling around in the kitchen at a loose end (which happens quite a lot. I go in there to think!).
Fate and the Rose Flavouring
And then, one morning, I was contemplating what I fancied for breakfast and settled, predictably, on porridge. It was a Saturday, so I was in no rush. And then, it was as if it was Fate intervened. I found my rose flavouring at the bottom of a drawer while looking for something else. Bingo.
Rose flavouring. Cocoa powder. Coffee granules. A few crumbled pistachios. The resulting creamy, indulgent rose & pistachio mocha porridge was everything the original drink was supposed to be.
So, what are you waiting for? Dust off that flavouring you bought for a single recipe a year or so ago and make this dreamy bowl of delight!
“Starbucks style” Indulgent Rose & Pistachio Mocha Porridge
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
Thick, creamy and packed full of flavour - treat yourself to this indulgent porridge and start your day in style.
- Prep: 1 minute
- Cook: 7 minutes
- Total: 8 minutes
- Serves 1
- Calories 244
- 35g jumbo oats
- scant 1 cup water
- 5g cocoa powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp rose water flavouring
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tbsp sugar free vanilla syrup
- 4g shelled pistachios, roughly chopped (for topping)
- 20g chocolate vegan protein powder (optional)
- Add all the ingredients, except for the pistachios and protein powder (if using) to a saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle boil, stirring often, until nearly all the water has been absorbed.
- If adding protein powder, add it now with a little extra water and cook until absorbed and creamy.
- Serve topped with the chopped pistachios and enjoy!
Calories calculated with 20g of The Protein Works Raw Vegan Protein in Chocolate Silk flavour.