As the nights draw in and my list of things to do seems to grow ever longer, I feel more than ever like there’s just not enough time. Take yesterday, for example: get back from work at about 5pm, to hit the gym for an hour, to get in and cook dinner knowing that I need to bake for a charity bake sale and at some point, sit down and say hello to the OH. By the time all was said and done, I managed to do the sitting thing at 9.50pm and to be honest, I managed 10 minutes before I called time on the day and crawled up the two flights of stairs to prep my gym back for a morning session and get my sleepy, achy bum into bed!
So: time poor and some uninspiring food in the fridge that needs to be eaten, this little creation was born. There’s been a white cabbage lolling at the back of our fridge for some time now. I bought it with the intention of making soup for my lunches and some coleslaw one week, but neither actually occurred. Since then, every week, it’s just sort of taunted me from the back. “You need to eat me,” it says, “you know you do. You can’t waste me!”
Yup – just like that. A talking cabbage. Seriously ya’ll!
Not one to take a taunt lying down, I pulled out some books and Google and away we went! Twenty minutes later we had a tasty, relatively healthy meal on the table! Coconut and cabbage is a must, if you haven’t tried it before. I’ve whipped up something similar before, as a side dish to some Chana Masala, but never wrote it down! This time, I made notes!
I served this in a very beige affair – with some naan and rice – but it could easily be served with some dal, protein or green vegetables. Next time I’ll be getting some greenery in there somewhere, it was a very beige plate!
Simple Supper: Indian Spiced Coconut Cabbage
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 15 minutes
- Total: 20 minutes
- Serves 2
- Calories 166
- coconut or olive oil spray
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 small curry leaves
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1/2 white cabbage, cored & shredded (~420g)
- 2 carrots, diced (~85g)
- 1 tsp curry paste (I used Madras)
- 25g desiccated coconut
- salt & pepper
- Spray a large saute or frying pan with oil and put over a high heat. Add the cumin and mustard seeds and fry until they begin to pop.
- Add tumeri, cayenne, curry leaves and chopped chilli to the pan for about 30 seconds - I bring the pan off the heat and just stir constantly, so they get aromatic but not burnt.
- Add the shredded cabbage and carrot to the pan with about 2 tbsp of water, season and stir to coat well in the spice mixture. Turn the heat to about medium and pop a lid on the pan. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the pan, add the curry paste and mix it all together. Turn the heat back up to high, stirring occasionally to stop it from sticking. Cook for about five minutes, until the cabbage is starting to brown slightly.
- Add the coconut, mix well and continue to cook for about 2-3 more minutes.
- Serve with naan bread, yogurt or your choice of sides, and enjoy!