Over the Christmas period, I noticed countless tins of shortbread around me: at work, at the shops, at my families houses. But, my home? Shortbread free. Every ingredients list I checked contained butter! Well, I wasn’t going to stand for that so here’s my simple vegan shortbread recipe (so I’ll be ready for next Christmas!)
Usually if I make biscuits, I try to make them with a twist – like these Lemon and Basil Shortbread Biscuits. However, while chatting with some colleagues I realised that most people just like a good, simple piece (or two!) of shortbread. It’s a good, sturdy biscuit that holds up well to dunking in tea.There's a very complex equation to work out how long one can hold the biscuit in the hot drink… Click To Tweet
If you’re a Brit, you almost definitely know what I mean. If you’re completely lost… we like to dip biscuits (cookies, in the US, I think) in our tea/coffee. There’s a very complex equation to work out how long one can hold the biscuit in the hot drink before it breaks apart… but it changes per biscuit, and per drink. When you master it, please hook me up with the answer!
My mum and Grandma have literally tins of shortbread stocked up in their pantries. I have a couple of half eaten rolls of Ginger snaps… somewhere, because I keep making fresh vegan shortbread instead. And this stuff? It never hangs around for long!
You can eat this shortbread in so many ways, too. Even if you’re not a biscuit fan, because it’s a simple no-frills bake you could do almost anything with it! Oh shortbread, let me count what I could do with you…
- On it’s own (obviously!)
- Dipped into tea/coffee
- Turned into cookie-pops (instead of cake pops!)
- Transformed into a pastry tart/cheesecake/pie base
- Crumbled on top of dairy-free ice-cream
- As the base layer of millionaires shortbread
- Make an amazing dairy free milkshake
Looking for more simple vegan baking recipes?
If you need to cook up a storm for something like a bake sale, birthday party or school fete I’m guessing you’ll want to keep things simple. Try one of these other simple vegan bakes:
Simple Vegan Shortbread Biscuits
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
Perfect dairy free shortbread is just half an hour away with this simple easy vegan shortbread recipe. Perfect for serving with cups of tea or sneaking out of the tin when no one's looking.
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- Total: 30 minutes
- Yield 9x13 inch pan / 18 biscuits
- Calories 135 (based on 18)
- 100g caster sugar
- 80g vegetable fat (eg: Trex)
- 80g vegetable spread (eg: Vitalite)
- 205g plain flour
- 55g corn flour
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line a couple of cookie sheets or baking trays with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- Cream together the vegetable fat, spread and caster sugar in a medium sized bowl.
- Sift in the flours and add the pinch of salt. Mix together with a spoon or your hand until it forms a dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, or if the bowl is big enough leave it in there, and knead it for 2-3 minutes.
- Place the dough between two sheets of greaseproof paper and roll it out to about 1cm thick - I don't recommend going less 0.5cm thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut as many biscuits out as you can before re-rolling the dough and repeating, until all the dough is used up.
- Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Once done, remove to a wire rack to cool completely