If a fresh meal can be cooked in about 15 hands-on minutes (or less, preferably less), it’s a winner in my book. As much as I love cooking, I love having a little free time more – be that to spend with my husband, or working on this blog, or just sit quietly with no noise.
Or, more realistically, having time to fold laundry and sort out the latest cloth nappy wash. That’s why I like making this spicy peanut butter sauce for an easy vegan stir fry dinner.
Stir fry, as you can probably guess, is a popular choice for dinner because it can be made so quickly. A lot of the time we reach for an easy packet of sauce from the shop – that’s even quicker than this! But I’m not a fan of all the extra stuff they cram in them to make them shelf stable and such. Plus, if I want to save a bit to give the kids for their tea I don’t want them having the added salt and sweeteners.
So, when I have the extra five minutes (and the inclination) I’ll throw together this spicy, peanut butter-ry vegan stir fry sauce and savour just how much better it is.
At its heart, the vegan stir fry sauce here is just peanut butter and hot sauce, basically. The water thins it out, the maple syrup gives it a little sweetness to balance out the spice, and the lemon makes it pop.
Why I love this vegan stir fry sauce
I love this stir fry sauce because it’s so versatile. Don’t fancy a vegan stir fry? I’ve poured it over a simple bowl of rice, tofu and broccoli before to liven things up. And stirred it through leftover rice with some frozen peas chucked in for a quick lunch. Not to mention as a dip for sweet potato fries! Okay, so that last one is a bit odd, but you get my drift!
It’s just a fab little sauce to have in my pantry arsenal.
What kind of sauces do you love to whip up with pantry staples?
Looking for some more quick, vegan meal ideas?
- Gluten Free, Low Carb Fajitas
- Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- Low Fat Carrot & Coriander Soup
- Crispy Chickpea Salad with Low Fat, Spicy Lemon Pepper Dressing
Spicy Peanut Butter Vegan Stir Fry
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
Sriracha + smooth peanut butter combine into one easy vegan stir fry sauce and make for a delicious dinner that's on the table in just 15 minutes.
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 10 minutes
- Total: 15 minutes
- Serves 2
- 3 cups chopped stir fry vegetables (I use frozen)
- 1 cup cubed tofu or beans or 1.5 cups chicken-style pieces (I use these)
- 2 nests of wholewheat noodles
- sesame seeds (optional)
- **Spicy Peanut Butter Sauce**
- 0.3 cup water
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- First, prepare the sauce. Add all the spicy peanut butter sauce ingredients to a small blender and whiz until well combined. Set aside.
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, put a frying pan or wok over a medium-high heat, add a little oil or water.
- Once hot, add the stir fry vegetables and choice of protein (tofu/beans/chicken-style pieces). Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Once the vegetables are nearly done (about 5-8 minutes), add the noodles and the sauce. Stir well until everything is coated in the sauce.
- Serve in bowls, sprinkled with sesame seeds if desired.