Do you ever have those mornings where you wake up craving a really specific flavour? Not a food, necessarily, but a taste. I had one of those mornings a few weeks ago. I was dreaming about strawberries – probably because I picked up the most delicious, sweet, strawberries the day before and we have strawberry cheesecake Oreos in our snack box – and I woke up craving strawberry cheesecake.
Not just a little bit of a craving. I woke up and the desire for strawberry cheesecake drove me straight out of bed and straight into the kitchen! The smell of the strawberries in the fridge as soon as I opened the door confirmed it: I needed strawberry cheesecake oatmeal. And, just like that, this strawberry cheesecake oatmeal was created.
It was a bit of a first-time attempt, wonder meal. Oats, chopped strawberries, a little flavouring… I don’t think I paused for more than a moment from start to finish! And yes I did follow it up with a cheeky Oreo too. Since the Oreos helped to inspire the recipe, I thought it was only fitting.
Health benefits of strawberries
Do you need convincing to make my healthy strawberry cheesecake oatmeal? Aside from the fact that it’s vegan, gluten free and utterly delicious?
- The strawberries make up one of your fruit portions of the day
- Contain vitamins C and K
- Some studies suggest they may help boost short term memory
- Contain lots of flavonoids, which may lower the risk for heart disease
- They also contain biotin, which may help build strong hair and nails, and prevent sagging skin
Have dessert for breakfast!
If you love the idea of having dessert for breakfast, you’re in great company: so do I! I’ve got a small but growing collection of vegan breakfast ideas for those with a sweet tooth…
- Apple Pie Smoothie Bowl
- Neapolitan Chia Seed Pudding
- Gingerbread Oatmeal Recipe
- Gingerbread Smoothie Bowl
Strawberry Cheesecake Oatmeal
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
Try this vegan strawberry cheesecake oatmeal if you want a healthy oatmeal for breakfast, which tastes like dessert.
- Prep: 1 minute
- Cook: 5 minutes
- Total: 6 minutes
- Serves 1
- 1/2 cup oats (~45g)
- 5-6 strawberries, chopped
- 1 cup water (240ml)
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed (optional)
- 2 tbsp dairy free yogurt
- dairy free yogurt
- flaked almonds
- maple syrup
- Add the oats, chopped strawberries, water, almond extract, maple syrup and ground flaxseed (if using) to a saucepan.
- Cook gently over a medium heat until it comes to a boil, then reduce to a low heat and simmer until you reach your desired consistency.
- Stir through the dairy free yogurt and pour the oatmeal into a bowl.
- Add desired toppings, drizzle maple syrup, and serve.