Perhaps it’s time I come clean folks. I love soup. I do. I really, really do. But I am also a bit of a soup snob. I sort of, take a spoonful and then either happily dig in for another, or sort of… sniff unhappily and balefully dip my spoon in for the next disappointing mouthful. This often happens at cheaper restaurants, with the tinned soups, or ‘cuppa’ type soups.
This delectable, slightly spiced tomato and white bean soup is one of the former, rather than the latter. In fact, I gobbled up the entire bowl in record time, barely pausing for breath in between. Infact, the only pausing I did was to exclaim how happy I was with the result (not to myself, my fiancée was sat next to me)!
And the best thing is, you can whip up your own tomato and white bean soup in a flash too, with:
- minimal ingredients (just 8 ingredients, including optional garnish)
- minimal washing up (1 saucepan, 1 stick blender, maybe a board and knife)
- minimal hands-on time (stick it in a pan for 15 minutes, then blend)
I don’t know about you, but that’s a triple-win meal for me! Plus this can easily be scaled up or down depending on how many you want to serve. In fact, I often whip up just a single serving after another recipe has left me with just half a tin of chopped tomatoes and half a tin of beans. Waste not, want not etc.
Simple AND speedy tomato and white bean soup?
The key ingredients are really nothing special – I class them as cupboard staples for our household, but I totally get that it may not be the case for everybody. However, they’re not outlandish or hard to find either. Cannellini beans can be found in the same aisle was the tins of chopped tomatoes in pretty much all supermarkets. No cannellini beans? Try subbing butter beans – and let me know how you get on! I’ve not tried it yet, but I think both taste and texture would remain relatively similar for that minor substitution in this version of tomato and white bean soup.
In addition to the key ingredients, and if you like a bit of added spice – add a chopped up red chilli with the beans and tomatoes, and garnish with freshly chopped coriander to combine with the curry powder in the soup to really enhance the flavours.
Tomato and Bean Soup (Vegan)
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
- Prep: 2 minutes
- Cook: 13 minutes
- Total: 15 minutes
- Serves 4-5
- Calories 183
- 2 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g tin cannellini beans, drained (490g drained weight)
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- 4 tsp curry powder (use less for a milder spice)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 4 tsp coriander, chopped (optional)
- Put all the ingredients, except for four teaspoons of beans, into a saucepan over a low-medium heat. Bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and blend until smooth - do this in batches in a food processor, or like I did, with a handheld stick blender.
- Add the soup back the saucepan and bring back to your desired heat.
- Serve in warmed bowls topped with the reserved beans and chopped coriander.
Nutritional information based on 4 large servings.