Hmm, chocolate… it’s so delicious and comforting. There’s something about it that really reminds me of winter too, I don’t know why. If there’s a time of year I’ll actually really want a piece of chocolate, it’s probably during the colder months… but maybe that’s just the controlling part of me taking over in the summer and saying I can’t be doing with half-melted chocolate? Who knows. Anyway, I digress (again).
I had a spare few hours the other day and fiddled around, like you do, with a few thoughts:
- I needed to use up some spotty bananas
- I wanted something indulgent but not too unhealthy
- I wanted chocolate
And so this recipe was born! Chocolate + bananas (- eggs + dairy) = vegan banana chocolate chip muffins. In fact, I’d even dare to say these could be a breakfast muffin, coming in with less sugar per muffin than many a bowl of breakfast cereal at around 13.5g! And a lot of that is banana-driven!
What I’m loving about vegan baking as well is the whole lack of danger associate with licking the spoon (/bowl) clean afterwards. Now, don’t get me wrong, I never considered myself living dangerously by licking the spoon of traditional bakes previously. I’ve been doing it since I was a child at my mothers side and have suffered no ill effects… but still. The chances of being brought down by a dodgy egg in my vegan chocolate banana muffin spoon lick-age were a comfortable zero.
So – do you have a spare half hour or so? Get your bake on, I dare you. I mean really you need like, five minutes and then the muffins are just doing their thing in the oven, but you gotta allow for appropriate spoon lick-age time, right?
Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- 150 ml non-dairy milk I used unsweetened almond
- 75 ml 55g solid vegan butter, melted
- 60 ml 4 tbsp agave nectar, or honey if not vegan
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour + 4 tbsp water ~10g
- 2 bananas ~210g, mashed
- ¾ cup self raising flour ~125g
- ¾ cup plain wholemeal flour ~125g
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar packed, ~50g
- ⅓ cup coco powder ~30g
- 1 tbsp cornflour ~6g
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips ~175g
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C Fan). Line your cupcake pans.
- Mix together the wet ingredients, including the mashed banana and chickpea 'eggs'150 ml non-dairy milk, 75 ml 55g solid vegan butter, melted, 60 ml 4 tbsp agave nectar, or honey if not vegan, 2 tbsp chickpea flour + 4 tbsp water, 2 bananas
- In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients except for the chocolate chips and stir until well mixed.¾ cup self raising flour, ¾ cup plain wholemeal flour, ⅓ cup coco powder, 1 tbsp cornflour, ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda, ⅓ cup dark brown sugar
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined, then fold in the chocolate chips - it will be quite a thick batter.1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Spoon into the cupcake tins - you should have enough for between 12-16.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove from the oven and place on a wire rack when cool enough to handle.