For once, this is not about any of my food obsessions. Seriously! It’s actually about one of my OH’s! Yes, this recipe for homemade cheese hummus is brought to you because of his obsession with hummus. I combined it with one of his favourite foods – cheese. Although, cheese actually doesn’t feature in this recipe, dairy-free or dairy-stuffed. I’m happy to say the recipe for homemade cheese hummus is far simpler than that, and requires just three ingredients, a little salt and a little water.
Call me crazy, but when I was growing up, I was led to believe that many things. One of which was that a tub of hummus is supposed to last more than one meal.
Well, preconceptions meet OH.
That man can put away a whole supermarket tub of hummus in one meal. It’s quite an amusing thing to watch. It just… disappears, one scoop at a time. If you ever want an experienced hummus-eater to recommend which flavour to get, he’s your guy. And, for the record the current top spot of flavoured hummus is owned by piri-piri hummus, incase you were wondering.
Benefits of hummus
I should probably highlight some of the really good things about this lovely little ‘dip’, since I’m confessing to a serious amount of hummus consumption in our household.
- Studies have shown that chickpeas can lower cholesterol
- Hummus contains folate, which may help reduce risk of some types of cancer
- Everyone raves about the health of those that eat a Mediterranean style diet – and guess what they eat? Hummus!
- Hummus is a good source of plant-based protein
- Studies have shown that chickpeas can help reduce inflammation and blood clots.
(Please note that I am not qualified in any sort of way, the information provided is just the result of other people’s studies.)
Cheese + Hummus
For all my searching in supermarkets and deli’s, I’ve yet to come across a cheese hummus. Can you believe it? Not even in the wonderland that is Wholefoods! It isn’t available even with dairy in! How the Powers that Be haven’t clicked with this idea yet, I don’t know! But until then don’t panic. It’s really quick and easy to make your own and requires just three ingredients. Making your own hummus also allows you to control the level of oils, garlic and such that are added.
So, what are you waiting for? Go get that blender out!
Cheesy Hummus (Oil Free)
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
Three ingredient, oil free and sesame free hummus? It's got to be a win. Add in a deliciously moreish, cheese-like flavour and this is sure to be a new favourite in every household.
- Total: 2 minutes
- Serves 4
- Calories 116
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 40g (~1 cup) nutritional yeast
- 1.5 tsp american mustard
- tiny pinch of salt
- 5 - 8 tbsp water/aquafaba (add 1 tbsp at a time)
- Add all the ingredients except the water to a blender or food processor. Add 1 tablespoon of the water and blitz until smooth - add more water if necessary, 1 tablespoon at a time.