I have a sneaky confession: I really like this kind of treat. The fact that they require NO BAKING (just a little melting) and they aren’t that hard to clean up after doesn’t hurt either, let’s face it. But in all seriousness, these little (or not that little – it’s up to you when you slice them) marshmallow treats are like little bites of childhood for me.
To be fair, my childhood has many sweet-toothed fond memories: apple cake, chocolate cake, bars of dairy milk watching the television on the weekend… but my vegan version of the classic marshmallow rice crispy treats specifically reminds me of the charity bake sales I’d try to do when I was at Primary School. Syrupy sweet rice crispy squares, and their chocolate cornflake cousins, were easy to make without much adult supervision. Do you have any favourite easy bakes from your childhood?
The best laid plans
I tried to make some vegan marshmallow rice crispy treats last year, but I utterly failed – I ended up with a mess, and no treats. Just a lot of soggy rice crispies and empty bags of marshmallows. My mistake was in the ratio of cereal to marshmallows – and omitting the margarine. I had the best intentions, trying to make a traditional batch of rice crispy treats and leaving out the butter but… I don’t know, The marshmallows need that stuff!
Also, top tip: don’t add water! It will make things soggy.
I used some puffed brown rice to make my vegan marshmallow rice crispy treats, this time around and it works just like a crisped rice cereal: just be sure to use fresh cereal and not stale stuff that’s to got a bite to it any more. I’ve made that mistake as well. These are treats set by a chill, not a bake: no extra crisp-ing will occur!
Some more easy sweet-toothed recipes include:
- Sticky Apple Cake
- Easy Peasey Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
- Sweet Coconut & Strawberry Cupcakes
- Irresistible Oreo Chocolate Cupcake
Easy Vegan Marshmallow Rice Crispy Treats
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Total: 5 minutes
- Serves 16
- 150g vegan marshmallows
- 20g dairy free margarine
- 100g crispy rice cereal
- Edible glitter, to decorate (optional)
- Put a small saucepan over a low heat and add the dairy free margarine. Heat until the margarine melts, then remove from the heat and add the marshmallows.
- Stir the marshmallows until they're melted - if the pan isn't holding enough heat, put it back on a very low heat and stir constantly until the marshmallows are fully melted. Stir constantly!
- In a large bowl, add the cereal, then pour over the melted marshmallow-butter mixture.
- Stir to combine, then press into a lined brownie dish (something about an inch or so deep works quite well)
- Place in the fridge until set, then slice into squares and enjoy!