Flapjacks – so easy to make, but so rare to find in my house. Generally speaking, when I want something baked and chocolatey, I’ll make some kind of chocolate muffin or cupcake. But, I feel like I’ve done a lot of that lately and this time, I wanted something with the ease and convenience of a tray bake. Since my favourite coffee is transitioning to a slightly indulgent mocha, I decided to make vegan mocha chocolate flapjacks.
These vegan mocha chocolate flapjacks are kind of a lazy bake. They’d also be a really easy thing to bake with kids because there are just two steps that require an adult (melting things, and placing the mixture in the oven). The is rest is no more complicated than stirring and pressing into a tin! As much as I love making chocolate cupcakes, having to make up icing, fill a piping bag and carefully decorate at least 12 cupcakes… well let’s face it, sometimes it’s all just a bit too much hassle. Especially for something that takes about 2 bites to completely devour.
Any excuse for more chocolate
I ended up adding extra chocolate to my mocha chocolate flapjacks, by adding cacao nibs. These are optional and your own flapjacks won’t suffer for not adding them. I just wanted a bit of extra… oomf and dimension against the chocolate and coffee flavours. And.. I just wanted to chuck some in (if I’m being brutally honest).
However, after the fact, I gave it a bit of a research and was pleasantly reminded of all benefits of cacao nibs. Cacao nibs health benefits…
- High in magnesium
- A source of antioxidants
- High in fibre
- Flavanoid rich
- High in potassium
I know chia seeds are really healthy too – but they get written about all the time so I thought I’d spotlight the chocolate-related ‘superfood’ instead.
If you like these vegan mocha flapjacks, you’re bound to love these too! There’s a bit of a chocolate theme:
- Irresistible Oreo Chocolate Cupcakes
- Leftover Chocolate Cake Cookies
- Easy Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Sinful Chocolate Fudge Muffins
Vegan Mocha Chocolate Flapjacks
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
Cook up some easy vegan snacks by making these dairy free, delicious, mocha chocolate flapjacks!
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- Total: 25 minutes
- Serves 12
- 200g dairy free margarine
- 140g golden syrup
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1-2 espresso shots, OR 1 tbsp + 0.5 tsp coffee granules, mixed with 3 tbsp water
- 1.25 tsp vanilla extract
- 350g oats
- 30g chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 40g cacao nibs (optional)
- 30g dairy free chocolate, to drizzle on top
- Preheat an oven to 175°C. Grease and line a baking tin.
- Melt the margarine in a bowl. Add the golden syrup, coffee, coco powder and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the oats, chia seeds, salt and cacao nibs (if using).
- Pour over the liquid and stir really well, until everything is well coated.
- Press into a lined baking tray, then place in the centre of the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and leave it in the tray to cool.
- Once it has cooled completely, melt the chocolate drops in a small dish and drizzle over the top.
- Place the flapjack in the fridge to set the chocolate (you can just leave it on the side too, but it will take longer).
- Slice into squares and serve.