It sounds like a walking contradiction doesn’t it? A vegan stroganoff? I mean, yes a vegetarian mushroom stroganoff is pretty common but… a vegan mushroom stroganoff? How can I remove the meat AND the sour cream and still dare to append the word ‘stroganoff’ at the end! Well… I’m not a chef, that’s how. I just like food.
I absolutely adore mushrooms. So much so I eat them raw. And also, brace yourselves, raw with a squirt of ketchup and American mustard on. Yes. Do it, just once. I double dare you! But so… I love mushrooms. And I thought.. what could be better than a meal made almost entirely of mushrooms?
I know, not exactly a world-changing thought that I had there, but hey: a girl has to work with what she’s got. And that was a love of mushrooms, and a big punnet full that was reduced at the the supermarket!
If you don’t like mushrooms, it’s probably not for you. I have lots of other vegan dinner recipes that you can try though, which you can find here.
So.. vegan mushroom stroganoff. If you’re particular about traditional recipes, run away screaming, right now. There’s nothing traditional about this recipe, except the outcome, maybe, I guess? Heh.If you're particular about traditional recipes, run away screaming, right now. Click To Tweet
Why I love this stroganoff
- It’s simple, it’s quick and it’s easy. Yes, the sauce has a few elements to it, but all you have to do is add them all to a blender
- It’s a classic, reinvented.
- The ‘creamy’ nature makes it perfect comforting, cold weather, food
- It’s a great ‘balancer’ meal: if I’ve eaten at a restaurant with friends, or family and gone all out, this is a perfect light supper (especially when paired with cauliflower rice)
In love with mushrooms? Try one of these on for size!
- When you need something a bit special: Seitan & Mushroom Vegan Wellington
- Another classic! Delicious Vegan Mushroom & Lentil Bolognese
- Who doesn’t love soup? Warming, Healthy Chestnut and Mushroom Soup
- For another simple dinner: ‘Cheesy’ Beans, Polenta & Mushroom Ragout
Vegan mushroom stroganoff recipe
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 15 minutes
- Total: 20 minutes
- Serves 2
- Calories 86
- 90g silken tofu
- 1 tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (~15g) tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp dried chives
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30ml) white wine (optional)
- 325g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots (~220g), chopped
- If you are serving with rice, start that first because the mushroom stroganoff only takes about 10 minutes!
- First, make the sauce: add all the ingredients except for the wine, mushrooms and carrot to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, then set aside.
- Add a little oil or water to a large frying pan, or a sauté pan, and add the chopped carrot. Cook for a few minutes until it starts to soften, then add the chopped mushrooms.
- Cook them until the mushrooms start to shrink and release their juices (about five minutes) then add the wine, if using, and let it cook off.
- Finally, add the sauce and stir everything together in the pan so that the vegetables get a good covering. If it's too thick, add a little water or vegetable stock. Don't cook this for too long, you just want to warm the sauce through: about two minutes.
- Serve warm over rice, mashed potatoes or chips.
Nutritional values are calculated without wine.
Pictured served with cauliflower rice.