Nothing seems to prompt cries of “Oh, I really shouldn’t…” like the offer of a brownie. The thing is, that phrase is nearly always followed (like 75% of the time?) with a self-deprecating smile – and their hand reaching for the proffered brownie treat. The chances seem in to increase to a near certainty when homemade chocolate Oreo brownies are the offer.
Granted, the science here is less… scientific, and more based on experience. But I think that makes it just as realistic though, given that the topic is brownies! How could a scientific experiment truly measure the likelihood of Oreo brownie consumption? (This isn’t a real question: I’m sure there are many ways it could be done!)
I saw the guilty smiles, heard the “Oh, go on then” phrase many times recently when I went away to the Lake District with some friends. I went armed with these vegan Oreo brownies, lemon curd cupcakes and copious amounts of vegan-friendly snacks (including, but not limited to: apples, bananas, two kinds of Oreos, dried dates, hummus, salsa and rice cakes)
Level up your brownie baking with Oreo stuffed brownies
I mean it. If you live in the UK then you can live safe in the knowledge (at the time of writing!) that Oreos are vegan. Can I get a hallelujah? This beautiful, vegan-friendly accident is the source of many baking adventures in my kitchen – from cheesecake to banana-Oreo cupcakes. And now I can add next-level awesome brownies to that list. Seriously, these are awesome in so many ways
- They’re easy to make
- They’re rich and chocolatey
- They have Oreo creme centre
Now, back to the Oreos. You might think that putting Oreos in the middle of brownies like this would lead to some kind of weird, crunchy centre, but you’d be wrong. The liquid from the batter mixes with the biscuit of the Oreos to make them soft, but in a way reminiscent of something fudge-like in texture. Just look at them!
If you love these Oreo brownies, you’re probably going to like these vegan baking adventures:
- Sinful Chocolate Fudge Muffins (vegan)
- Chocolate Lava Cakes (vegan)
- Irresistible Oreo Chocolate Cupcakes (vegan)
- Incredible Banana Oreo Cupcakes
- Squidgy Cherry Nut Brownies (vegan)
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies (vegan)
Vegan Chocolate Oreo Brownies
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
Rich, chocolatey brownies with a creme filled, Oreo centre. That's right: homemade, vegan Oreo brownies can be yours in just 40 minutes!
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 30 minutes
- Total: 40 minutes
- Serves 12
- Calories 275
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water
- 100g dark chocolate
- 35g margarine
- 25g vegetable fat
- 150g light brown sugar
- 150g plain flour
- 50g coco powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 240ml (1 cup) unsweetened soy milk
- 1 x 154g pack Oreos
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease or line a square baking dish.
- In a small dish, mix together the ground flaxseed and water. Set it aside.
- Melt the chocolate, margarine and vegetable fat in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add in all the dry ingredients (sugar, flour, coco powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda) and mix them together. Add the flax egg, vanilla extract, soy milk and melted chocolate mixture. Stir together. Pour half the mixture into the prepared dish. Press the Oreos lightly into the mixture to form a single layer. Pour over the remaining batter.
- Bake in the centre of a preheated oven for 30 minutes, then remove and leave to cool before slicing into squares and serving.
* Not all Oreos are vegan - check the packet first if required