I’ve written before about how we enjoy “Pancake Sunday” at my house. Since the twins were born, we’ve kind of let it slide – but now that they are experimenting with food I really want it to pick it up again. Usually, my pancakes have protein powder, or at the very least some sugar – but to share breakfast with the kids, I needed to strip the pancakes back to far simpler ingredients. For the past few weeks, we’ve all sat down together and enjoyed these vegan, sugar free pancakes instead.
I have to admit, gone are the lazy Sunday mornings where we leisurely stroll downstairs whenever we wake up. Lie-ins are a thing of the past! However, now our babies can entertain themselves (ish) in their highchairs for 10 minutes. That means I can whip up some family, sugar free pancakes for us all to enjoy. Would I still do it if my husband was away? I don’t know. Probably not. Their moods change very quickly and pancakes require concentration during the cooking stage.
How does a pancake Sunday usually go?
Pancake Sunday doesn’t really differ in routine to most other mornings, except that I cook us all breakfast instead of serving up some toast or something similar to the babies, whilst Adam and I help ourselves to whatever we fancy (I usually have some kind of porridge).
Generally, we’re up by 7 am. By 7.30 am, both babies have been nursed and have had their nappies changed. I like to be downstairs and digging out ingredients by 7.40 am, and serving up their pancakes by 8 am. In an ideal world, they go for their first nap at 8.30 in the morning! Ah, the baby life! Often we don’t get them down ’til closer to 9 am as they’re getting a bit older.
Looking for more vegan pancake recipes?
- Easy, One Bowl Vegan Protein Pancakes
- Vegan Blueberry Pancakes with Tahini Drizzle
- Easy, Pink Vegan Pancakes (gluten free)
- Vegan Carrot Cake Protein Pancakes
Vegan Sugar Free Pancakes
Luci Rebecca, Made by Luci
These vegan, sugar free pancakes are perfect for family breakfasts on lazy weekend mornings. Or, make a batch up ahead of time to delight babies every morning!
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 15 minutes
- Total: 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water
- 1 banana
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 cup jumbo oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 - 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Mix the ground flaxseed and water together in a small dish and set aside to let it gel.
- Place a frying pan over a medium heat and add a splash of oil - you'll want it to be nice and hot for when you add the pancakes.
- Meanwhile, mash the banana in a large bowl. Add the flour, oats, baking powder and cinnamon and the flax 'egg' mixture. Give it a good stir.
- Add the dairy free milk (I like to use Oatly Barista for the babies) and the water. You should have a nice, thick mixture.
- For small pancakes, use about 2 dessert spoonfuls per pancake. Dollop the mixture into the hot frying pan and let cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until the pancakes form and burst small bubbles. Then flip and cook for another 2 minutes, or until golden brown.